According to Forbes Magazine, Data Storytelling is the essential data science skill that everyone needs.1 And with good reason – well told data stories are change drivers within the modern organization. But how do we find the most important insights in our business data and communicate them in a compelling way? How do we connect the data that we have to the key underlying business issue?
This course takes students from the fundamentals (what should we be measuring and why?) through to the elements of good visualization design (what does a good chart look like?) through to proficiency in data storytelling. By the end of the course, students will know how to produce engaging, cohesive and memorable data stories in the data visualization package of their choice and PowerPoint.
This is our most popular course. It’s suited towards any professional, who works with data and charts. If you need to tell better stories with your data, then this course is for you.
- Provide participants with a grounding in the four ‘keys to data storytelling’ – Audience, Data, Visuals and Narrative
- Provide participants with a methodology for selecting the right chart for a particular set of data
- Provide participants with industry best practices for the most common chart types (including the bar, line and pie chart)
- Provide participants with an understanding of the “Gestalt” principals of perception and how they can be used to focus audience attention
- Provide participants with an overview of the scientific research surrounding chart design, including work from Edward Tufte
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Design aesthetically pleasing data stories that adhere to the principals of good design
- Select an appropriate chart type for a given set of data (e.g. When to use a bar chart versus a pie chart or a line graph versus a stacked bar chart)
- Create data stories that ‘get to the point’ and utilize good design to focus audience attention on the matters of most importance
About DataSeer Lead Instructor
Your Instructor, Isaac Reyes, previously lectured in statistical theory at the Australian National University and is currently the Head of Data Science at Altis Consulting. A student focused trainer, Isaac is also a TEDx presenter and was a keynote data visualization speaker at both the Strata Data Conference and the 2018 Open Data Science Conference in Boston.
Required Laptop Specs
- Intel i3 processor, 2GB RAM
- Either Mac or Windows operating system
- Any data visualization software package (e.g. Excel, Tableau, PowerBI, Qlik, R, Python) and PowerPoint
Learn from our lead trainer
Isaac is an international keynote speaker, specializing in data storytelling and visualization. A TEDx presenter, he delivered his Data Storytelling course in 17 cities spanning 14 countries in 2018.
Learn More about our Lead Data Science Instructor
Lecturer in Statistics
Head of Data Science
Take a sneak peak here!
Data Storytelling for Business
VENUE: Dorsett Wanchai, Hong Kong
Limited slots only!
Download the PDF for detailed information on each course.